Saturday, April 5, 2008

Happy Manure Dance

The duck eggs seem to be doing fine. You can see little dark dots moving around when you "candle" them, so I assume that they will hatch. Misty said that they will always have a home at her place, so this is good!
It is a Saturday...I don't like them. My kids seem to think that they should be doing really exciting, fun things with all their friends. I think that they should clean their room. In any case, we both want to go to Charlie's and see the baby goats, or kids, I should say. We used to have the females, but Charlie took them and bred them. Maddie's goat, Carol, had some kind of sickness while pregnant, and consequently her babies didn't make it. But the other goat, Ketchup, had 2 (3?) that are doing great. PLUS Charlie has horses, which means MANURE!!!! Yay, do the happy manure dance.

On the garden front, I erected 4 teepees made of the prunings from some over-grown shrubs. I have planted shelling peas around 2, and am going to plant snow peas around the other two. I also planted somemore spinach (the first batch didn't do anything), and planted onion sets. I amended the soil somewhat by adding sand from the creek banks. In my mind there should be lots of good organic matter in the sand,right?

I am going to take pics of the goats, so keep posted. I may even take some manure pictures!!

Last night was family game night in the household. Unfortunately, we played Monopoly. JP always wins. I guess I just don't understand this game. I always feel like a complete idiot by the end of it. I just went to bed, after he took all my money, but Maddie stayed up until 11 playing. We need some new games....We also played "Guess Who?" and that was fun. Before games we took a hike to the BIG ROCK and the kids found some grapevine to climb and swing from. I sometimes forget that there is more to explore and do...I seem to hole-up in the house and surrounding garden so much. But it is really cool out there. EXCEPT for the LITTER. I just don't understand why fisherpeople would throw junk and garbage out in nature. Aren't they trying to enjoy the beauty of the earth? For the beauty of the earth....lalalala. We found cigarette butts and nightcrawler containers, and some daffodils that they picked and just threw on the ground. WHY? It gets me so wound up. I want to print out flyers and put them all around, but I wonder if that would make it worse.

Anyway, I am taking a deep breath and doing my Happy Manure Dance once again.

1 comment:

HG said...

Happy Happy Joy Joy! Yea Poop!

I remember my grandma getting giant loads of manure for her garden every year, I thought it was sooooo gross. You mean we eat the stuff that grows in the poop?!
Gross grandma!

I can't wait for your ducks to hatch, you're going to be such a good mama.

Heather