Monday, March 10, 2008

Birdy, birdy in the sky, Why'd you do that on my.....

The leeks are up!! At least some of them are. I can't figure it out. I believe I planted them all the same, but some haven't sprouted. Hmmm. I also started basil (sweet and spicy globe), cilantro and flat parsley. I want to start some curly parsley also, I think it looks so pretty in flower boxes mixed with other things. I also am trying to root a rose bush. Should be a learning experience. "Fair Bianca" is the name of the rose, and I am not sure if it is grafted onto another species or not. Who knows what I could be growing.

The grow area I have set up is 36" wide by 24" deep and I am not sure how tall. taller than me, at least. I positioned it in front of the bathroom window, so there is a blue-ish glow coming from the room. JP is concerned that people will think we are propagating illegal substances. I am not worried. If they come knocking, I will show my goods.

We had a busy weekend. Maddie is involved in a group called "Destination Imagination", and she had a competition on Saturday. Sunday we skipped church - my bad - and slept in. My sister Paula was visiting, so maybe that is a good-enough excuse. We joined up with the Gibson's and went to the MHS production of "High School Musical". I was impressed! It was enjoyable and the kids liked it. We then invaded the Gibson's to watch "Extreme Home Makeover". It is so strange to see local stuff on a national tv show. Then home and to bed. Today is a quiet day for me, so far, as everyone is back to school and work. I did work out, which felt good, but now I have "rubber leg syndrome". And then I ate cookies. Hey - the sooner they are gone, the sooner I can proceed to my healthy eating plan!!

There is a bird that flogs itself ALL DAY LONG against my mud room window. Maybe it is mating season? Maybe it is fighting with itself? Maybe it just wants to poop all over the windows, I do not know. But it does bring back memories of a certain song and all the creative verses that can be made...(Birdy, birdy in the tree, Why'd you do that on my Knee? On the line, in my wine? In the bush, on my tush? Do you remember that HILARIOUS song???!!!)

Another thing I've been looking at online is bathing suit patterns. I can never find a suit that I feel totally comfortable in. What I want is a 50's style 2-piece, boy-short bottoms with a halter top that extends down over the torso. It would be so cute in a gingham pattern. I am not that good a seamstress, though, and can see myself struggling with the fitting part. I will have to get my loverly sister Rachel to help me!! Hint hint, come visit soon.

I need to download some more pics of the garden. Maybe tomorrow.....

1 comment:

Rachel Bozorth said...

Birdie birdie in the fog,
Please do not my window flog.

Ummmmmm, didn't you have a bird that did the same thing last year? No offense, but did you consider the possibility that the problem is you and not the birds???

Maybe if you hung up a bird feeder with some yummy suet nearby, he/she would decide to stop slamming into your window in favor of a tasty snack.

My tree fever continues, and I fear may prove to be damaging to my marriage. Honestly, if it isn't about trees, I just don't have time right now! I am a woman with a mission!

According to my "Conifers for Gardens" book, here are the trees that will tolerate light shade:

Cephalotaxus
Chamaecyparis obtusa
Cryptomeria japonica
xCupressocyparis leylandii
Microbiota decussata
Picea abies
Picea orientalis
Podocarpus
Sciadopitys
Taxus
Thuja
Thujopsis dolabrata
Tsuga

My only question now is, do I indeed have light shade? And I won't know until the canopy fills in. And by that time, the optimum tree planting season will have passed.

I just love obsessing about this stuff. It is so much fun.



Birdie, birdie, full of sass,
Why'd you fly into my glass?

Birdie, birdie, seeing double,
You are causing too much trouble.

Birdie, birdie, with no life,
Why don't you go get a wife?
Instead of spreading birdy rabies,
You could go make lots of babies.

Rachel