Monday, September 15, 2008

Coop Progress




The weekend was a relative success. We all managed to go to church and get some work done around the house. The chicken house, that is. I am posting some "in progress" pics. I am going to stain or paint the outside of it for now. I would like to put cedar shakes on it, but can't afford that now. So, I get to pick out a color for paint. I LOVE THAT!! I was thinking....green? What a shocker, yes my house is green and anything I can get my hands on turns green, including my piano. But I just love it, so green it will be. I want to go to Ace hardware and check out the B.M. historic colors. They have great colors. I love colors. Rainbows and ponies.....hmmmmm.

So, I also like chocolate. The dark chocolate box mix brownies by Giant Eagle. Yes, yes, I know it is loaded with chemicals. But I love it. Oh yes, and I love no-bake cookies, the kind with oats and peanut butter and CHOCOLATE. Plus, I love pumpkin cookies and banana bread with chocolate chips. I made a terrific recipe I got from Alicia Paulson's blog of her version of Nigella's b. bread. Oh my, we ate a loaf and a half in one evening. For real.

So I have decided no more paper napkins. So I sewed up some really easy fabric squares out of fabric I already had - just zig-zagged the edges. I have told everyone they get one per day. Does that sound gross? Well, if we have company I promise I will have clean napkins. My next quest is the paper towels. Of course, I already try not to use them. I have quite a rag-bag collected, but sometimes you just want to wipe up something gross (dog puke) and throw it away and never think of it again. I just can't stand myself being so green...geez I am really terrific. haaa. Seriously, I don't feel like I've had to change all that much. My mother was the original green earth mama. She always composted (neighbors thought she was a weirdo) and saved everything for multiple uses. She still has glass mayo jars from 1976 that stores leftovers. Just kind of kidding on that one. She is my model for living simply, and that kinda annoyed me when I was growing up. But now I appreciate it, in fact try to emulate her. She is my hero!!

No comments: