Wednesday, September 24, 2008





Here are some photos of the garden taken last week. Also, one of Sugar Daddy looking over my shoulder.

Soooo....money is REALLY tight for all of us. I'm trying to be as frugal as possible. I got on this website that gives you tips and advice, but I was already doing most of that stuff anyway!! How much more frugal can I be? I do not buy magazines anymore, or makeup, or clothes, or anything fun. I don't even go to Goodwill to buy - they are too expensive!! Even the Penny Pincher thrift store in town has raised their prices.

I'm starting to panic for Christmas.

I'm tired of this...so I will now switch to positive mode.

Yesterday I canned 6 jars of tomatillo salsa. It is really tasty on top of chicken and cheese enchiladas. I also made some borscht. I had roasted some beets last summer and then froze them to see how they would do. They did great! Retained their shape and flavor. I love this borscht soup that I make out of my Soup Cookbook. It has beets, carrots, cabbage, onion, garlic, and tomato. All in a chicken broth. I make some latkes to go with. My kids eat it up, I think because the beets turn everything a pretty pinkish-red, and they can't tell what all is in it. They super-love the latkes, which are just grated potato, a little flour, salt and pepper fried in a little oil, then kept warm in the oven. YUMMY. I pretty much cooked all day. But I did go to the garden and plant some lettuce and broccoli raab, just to see it it would do anything. I also planted some in my boxes, so if it gets too cold I can bring them inside.

Today is my one day out of the week. I need to grocery shop, take in recycling, drop off stuff for Goodwill. So, I better get started.....

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Have you checked out HillBilly Housewife yet? Some of the stuff on there is a little too.....cheap....for me. But much of it is right up my frugal alley.

I know this Christmas I'm doing a LOT of home made gifts.

breakaway said...

hey nice to find a person from BYC here :D I have a blog here too. I was checking out your tiny egg. Looks just like mine I got today. I was going to follow your blog but don't see a follow button :( I will bookmark ya so I can come back and visit :D